Sitting down at his desk, he looks at my chart and says: "Oh! That's why! You're 33 weeks."
Wait, what? HB and I looked at each other in utter confusion and attempted to correct the situation stating that, no, I'm 36 weeks and my due date is February 21.
Adamantly arguing the facts listed before him, the doctor continued: "Yes, this says here that your due Feb 21 and that you're 33 weeks."
Attempting to read the upside-down ultrasound report from across the desk, HB craned his neck to look at the information detailed on the paper. Noting the date on the top line, he says, "um, that report is dated the beginning of January."
Reviewing that "minor" detail, the doctor responds with a simple "oh" as he began to shuffle papers and click through my electronic chart.
Promptly following this, um, reassuring remark with a series of yawns and additional confusion about what report details today's exams ("no, that's still the old one, Doc") we finally got down to the business of being 36 weeks along, a ways into the effacement process and presenting persistent elevated amniotic fluid levels: "well, we'll see you next week if your membranes are still intact then."
Again, seriously? That was anticlimactic.
"And call the girls at the office to get your induction scheduled for mid-week 38."
At least that's progress.
(Half-heartedly) thanking the doctor for his time, HB and I shuffled out to the car with a sense of confused apprehension. On one hand, we are glad that I didn't have an overly tired obstetrician attempting to pull a baby out of my ear yesterday, but the lack of more definitive answers just leaves us sitting at pre-stage one: labor could happen any time, or not. I guess the best news to come out of the appointment - besides, of course, the fact that HB and I enjoyed some awesome one-on-one bantering time - is that we have an official eviction date to plan around: February 11. So, if he doesn't arrive before then (gee wiz, thanks for the perpetual "who knows" time frame!), we know that I'll head into the hospital on the evening of February 10 and go through a similar process to that with GV last go around.
I guess induction wouldn't be such a terrible thing - there wouldn't be a mad dash up I-95, the pitocin helps the uterus contract back to it's normal size quicker and we'd have the maximum amount of nesting time left on the clock - but my impatience (and that of GW, too, actually) to meet Baby is beginning to show. I want my body back, sans swollen ankles and midnight contractions, and I want to really start bonding with this little guy... ah well, it will be when it will be.
All until next week, maybe.