Friday, June 13, 2014

Long over due...

I honestly can't remember the last time I sat down to write something more than an email or news letter... how sad.  The last several nights I've been mentally kicking myself for letting yet another day pass without getting back on the proverbial horse, but then exhaustion takes over and within a matter of moments my alarm clock is going off and somehow all of the good-intentioned-tomorrows became a stream of oh-well-yesterdays.   While I can't anticipate this to be terribly pretty, let this blog post be the end of that and a return to what fuels me.

The last several many months have been chalked full of this, that and the other thing - some of it important and worth mention, much of it common and likely beyond my memory at this point.  Instead of focusing on what's been, however, HB suggested I simply list out what I could have written about and move on with it (with or without further details as necessary).  Makes sense and starts a clean slate, so here goes:


* My Dad had a massive heart attack two days before GW's 4th birthday in October so we cancelled his party and flew to Colorado.  Upon arriving, GW promptly came down with a passing virus and deliriously missed the whole trip while riding out the Motrin-wave.  Fortunately, while serious, the heart attack wasn't fatal and my Dad's made as solid of a recovery as one can and GW recuperated with a few weeks to thoroughly enjoy his birthday gift (the helmet) for Halloween.

* We raced in and finish the 2013 Marine Corps Marathon in 4:50:25 (goal was between 4:30 and 5:30).  Having missed the last 10 miles worth of distance training due to unhappy kids wanting no more than two hours in the stroller at a time, I hit the wall at mile 18 and limped it in the rest of the way with excruciating IT Band pain.  Thank goodness I had amazing support from HB and our awesome friend TS, I couldn't have done it without them.  THANK YOU!

* One thing I am not thrilled with from that day is my disastrous judgement with regards to my pump... I chose to keep it on me instead of leaving it in the car so as to enable me to get food at the finish line.  Unfortunately, the sweat and salt build up that happened during the course of the race broke my pump beyond repair - effectively preventing me from eating at the finish line anyway.  Thank Heaven, at least, that we have insurance that covered the cost of getting a replacement, because otherwise the cost of running 26.2 miles just became much, much, much more expensive!

* The pain I felt in Marathon wound up leading to an IT Band release surgery that took me off my feet and out of running for two months.  My doctor said that he was glad to have done it because my Band is the thickest he's seen and that it's no wonder stretching wasn't enough.  The surgery largely fixed the issue and I haven't had issues with it since starting back into running.  At some point I may need to go in to have the right knee done as well, but as of now I am a-okay!

* I gave in... I got a Continuous Glucose Monitor (CGM).  I can't remember what it was specifically that made me change my mind, but I've forfeited another portion of my abdomen to yet another diabetic device, which, surprisingly, is very handy and not nearly as obnoxious as I anticipated.  I'll definitely have to write more about my Dexcom G4 so I will make a note to save this topic for later.

* GV turned 1 year old in November and is the biggest bundle of joy you can imagine.  She's talkative, curious, friendly, incredibly smart and very engaging - particularly when she ought to be quiet at mass.  She eagerly wants to do everything GW is doing and, in spite of his initial protests and her flagrant acts of retaliation, they appear to be growing on one another with actual (there is nothing censored about these two) affection.

*  Much of the time I would have otherwise spent writing over the last year has been spent volunteering for Team Red, White & Blue. Admittedly, it does not provide me the same sense of accomplishment I get when I've written a piece I'm proud of, but there is definitely a happiness involved in creating a positive community that enables a sense of connection and belonging that didn't exist for me - and for many - before.  At just over one year into building our local Community we have roughly 300 members and I think it's about time to reclaim some of my own life and that starts here...

In the coming weeks I hope to finish some blog drafts I've had sitting around collecting dust and, with a little bit of luck, I will actually start some new ones.  I anticipate that in a similar sense to running, starting to write again may be initially painful and it may be difficult to find my stride.  However, I have faith in muscle memory and I'm sure my fingers can find their way one after the other just as one does when starting exercise again... if not, one has hope that HB is an excellent editor and all that is irrelevant to you!

Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment