Friday, March 8, 2013

Lent Recipe #4: Seared Scallops with Oranges

So as a special birthday dinner for me and my Mom, I decided to go out of my comfort zone tonight and cook one of my favorite foods: scallops.  I've always been intimidated by scallops because it seems oh so easy to screw up the cooking of them so that either wind up undercooked and gross or overcooked and rubbery.  But taking Lent as an excuse to try something new that I'd LOVE to order at a restaurant tonight, I fond a great recipe from Chef Curtis Stone that I wanted to try.

Fortunately for me, saving myself from permanent cyber embarrassment, the scallops turned out perfectly and the family gobbled them up with several compliments.  I think this one will permanently join my cooking repertoire... hope you like it too!

1.5 cups orange juice
2 tsp heavy whipping cream
5 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp oil
12 jumbo scallops
1 blood orange, peel and white pith removed
Curly leaf parsley

In a sauce pan over medium heat, simmer the orange juice for about 25 minutes or until it reduces to 1/3 cup.  Add the cream and return the mixture to a gentle simmer.  Remove from heat.  A few pieces at a time, add the butter to the orange and cream reduction by constantly whisking until thoroughly blended.  Once all of the butter is incorporated, season the sauce with salt and pepper and set it aside in a warm spot to ensure that it doesn't break.

Place an empty, heavy based skillet over high heat for 2 minutes.  Meanwhile season the scallops with salt and pepper.  Pour the 1 Tbsp of oil into the hot pan and add the scallops.  Sear the scallops about 4 minutes on each side until they are just opaque in the center and golden brown on both sides.

Transfer the scallops to your serving dish and garnish with segments of the blood orange.  Drizzle your orange cream sauce over top and add an extra splash of color with with sprigs of parsley.

Can't believe I made that!! Go me!

No comments:

Post a Comment