Monday, February 18, 2013

Postprandial Hyperglycemia Continues...

Much to my disappointment, I guess my endocrinologist had a point when she said high glycemic index food is out.   I'd initially hoped such a food restriction would be a fluke suggestion for my recent hyperglycemia, but it is unfortunately turning out to be something I actually need to consider.  Bummer.

As per our usual weekend morning tradition, yesterday before mass HB got up and made the family his famous pancake breakfast with a side of bacon and - hallelujah - coffee.  It's not often that I willingly hand over the reigns to my kitchen, but if he offers I always take him up on making this breakfast because it's just so darn good!  I think the special trick to his recipe is the 50-50 split of white flour to wheat flour and his inclusion of melted butter and cinnamon right in the batter... they are so amazing.

Anyway, after HB finished slaving away at his new griddle, he put the plate of gorgeous golden brown pancakes and our three maple syrup variants on the table and lead us in grace.  I set GW up with two pancakes and once they were cut into toddler sized pieces, I turned back to my own plate for calculation.  Taking three pancakes (20 g each), about 1/4 cup of sugar free maple syrup (10 g) and my coffee (20 g) into account, I bolused 5 units of insulin to cover the 100 grams of carbs in front of me (20 g carb per 1 unit insulin).   Back when I was first diagnosed, I remembered thinking that 100 grams sounded like an embarrassing amount of carbohydrates to eat in one sitting, but now that I have a better idea of the composition of food it really isn't difficult to rack up carbs quickly with a couple pancakes or a simple glass of juice.  So eating just barely more than my 3 year old, I finished breakfast and off we went to Sunday Mass.

Returning home an hour later, I checked my blood sugar at the two hour post breakfast mark: 202 mg/dL.  Requiring only 0.90 units for a correction, HB and I were thoroughly agitated to see I still had 3.4 active units in my system.  Sighing deeply, I waited another two hours before checking again and my glucose at that point was down to 71 mg/dL -- which as I have said before, is slightly on the low side but within the correct range of where I want it.

I'd peaked early, again.  I'd calculated my carbs correctly, I'd eaten what I intended to eat and my glucose was eventually were it ought to have been, but not without a cost.  Going up into the 200s isn't healthy and regardless of the temporary nature of it, I cannot afford to go high if I want my HgA1C to stay under tight control in a "normal" person range.  I need it to be normal -- and not just for me and my sanity, but for any unplanned children we may possibly have. I mean I trust God to be looking out for us and our current & future children, but that doesn't mean I should take his care for granted and disregard my responsibility and role in the process.

It's frustrating that after two years of a steep learning curve with diabetes management that things are changing all over again.  My body is responding entirely different to carbohydrates now at three months postpartum than it ever did before or during the pregnancy and, despite my irritation with the idea of the glycemic index, I capitulate that it is completely necessary.  And while my e-whining about cream of wheat and pancakes may indicate otherwise, I think the fact of the matter is that I am more emotionally attached to the luxury of choice than I am to the specific carbs I'm losing... my world is shrinking even further because of diabetes and the reality of my new condition and its limitations causes me great sadness.

Completely unintended.  You'd think it is smiling because it knows...
sick sense of humor pancake, just sick. 

No comments:

Post a Comment