Monday, November 26, 2012

Induction begins tonight

Well, today is the day.

I go into the hospital tonight to begin fetal monitoring, receive a dose of Cervidil and then bright and early tomorrow morning we'll begin Pitocin to really get things started.  Based on my past pregnancy history and the dosing amounts he's planning, Dr. Bronsky expects that we'll have the baby by sometime tomorrow afternoon.  On one hand I am absolutely relieved to know that there is a definitive plan and an end to the pregnancy in sight, but I conversely find it a bit weird to know for a fact when the baby is arriving after so many weeks of uncertainty.

Hopefully my body will be responsive to the drugs and things will go smoothly with the induction, but seeing as I've been struggling with my blood sugar in hypERglycemic ranges the last couple days I'm a bit concerned about what this means for Baby.  I'm not sure where the high numbers are coming from exactly, but I'm trying to do whatever I can to get the numbers back down into normal ranges as soon as possible because if my sugars are high when she is born Baby will be required to go to the NICU to correct her hypoglycemia.

I think I've explained this before, but just in case I haven't or simply for review, when a fetus is in utero it's pancreas creates extra insulin to balance the excess glucose that is transmitted via the placenta from the Mom if her blood glucose is too high.  But when the baby is born and the external sugar source is cut off (literally), the insulin the newborn's pancreas is putting out becomes excessive and leads to their blood glucose dropping into dangerously low ranges.  Since the only way to correct hypoglycemia is to ingest more carbohydrates and colostrum does not contain much beyond antibodies, the NICU needs to feed the baby supplementally with sugar or formula and monitor his/her blood sugar until the baby is stable on its own.  Once the blood glucose balances out, the baby shouldn't need to stay in the NICU longer unless there are other complications that require additional intensive care... knock on wood.

I'm doing everything I can to keep things were they need to be, but if the placenta makes a last ditch effort to screw with my blood glucose then it's kind of out of my hands since hormones are simply unpredictable.  The reality is that Dr. Rogacz told me to expect Baby to go to the NICU and since we don't know with 100% certainty that her lungs will be fully developed by tonight I've kind of resigned myself to the fact that she might need more help than vitamin D like GW did when he was born.  Of course HB and I have prepared ourselves emotionally and medically for this and we're as ready as we can get...  At the most basic level, instead of using what basic brand the hospital provides, we've decided to bring our own hypoallergenic formula if Baby needs supplementation because research studies have indicated there may be a link between cow protein based formulas, type 1 mom's and babies developing autoimmune diseases later in life.  I can explain more about this research later since this topic goes hand in hand with the breast feeding post I still need to write (good thing we're not quite there yet), but we've decided not to take any chances and we're covering down on every detail we possibly can to keep her as healthy as we are able to.

Anyway, we'll see how things play out over the next two days.  I keep sending up prayers that the increased risks for infection and slower healing time because of diabetes will be of no concern coming out of this, but like I said, we'll see.  There's nothing about diabetes that makes life easy and it effects everything that involves the body -- much like carrying a baby, go figure.  I've somehow managed to avoid the swollen ankles and several other unpleasant side effects of pregnancy this go around, so here's hoping that some of the diabetes and delivery complications will be irrelevant as well.

I expect this will be my last blog post for a while since the hospital has spotty internet connectivity and I'm planning to be very busy with our TWO wonderful kids for a while...  But I'll be sure to put up an update when we get home and we're all settled (please don't call while we're at the hospital since we're not out of the woods yet).  Until then, thank you so much for reading my posts and giving me your support and encouragement over the past many months.  Writing about what is going on is a great outlet for me and, although things have been rough with the pregnancy, knowing people out there care is appreciated more than you know.

Talk soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment