Saturday, September 8, 2012

Diabetic Ketoacidosis

I was just surfing the Internet and came across an article that made me cry.  The title of the article is "People Dying of Diabetes Who Never Knew They Had It, Study Finds" and when I first clicked on it I fully expected the article to be about type 2 diabetes since it seems like everything in the media about diabetes is about type 2.  Much to my surprise, the article turned out to be about adult type 1 diabetics - like me - who die from diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA).

Check out the article here: http://news.yahoo.com/people-dying-diabetes-never-knew-had-study-finds-130911564.html

As you may remember from my diagnosis blog post (check it out here if you haven't seen it yet: My Diagnosis Post), DKA is what I was hospitalized for and within weeks from dying from.  It is an extremely serious complication caused by untreated diabetes and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Please, for your own information, read this article and recognize the symptoms of DKA.  If you or someone you  know starts to exhibit these kind of symptoms, get checked out immediately!  Even if you don't exhibit symptoms, please get an annual physical and blood glucose check just to be sure.  Diabetes doesn't have to be fatal if it is treated in a timely manner.


No comments:

Post a Comment