Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Carb-free cookies

I don't think I have mentioned this before, but I am currently going through the RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults) program with the catholic parish that HB and I go to.  Having never been baptized or even remotely religious before, I've slowly but surely gotten my feet wet with the concept of faith and I'm actually really enjoying myself in the deep end of spirituality.  But that's neither here nor there for this post, just background mumbo jumbo.

Any way, over the past year or so that we've been attending mass weekly I've started to wonder: just how many carbs are in the Eucharist? While I am sure that my parish priest would be mortified that I'm asking that question (the vicar I'm sure would find it a bit more entertaining), I feel like it's at least relevant to point out that all bread - Holy or not - by definition contains carbohydrates and therefore is something that a diabetic ought to care about.  Right?  Right.

So I started doing some online research (you know, searching the hard hitting facts people reliably put in random forums) and have quickly come to realize that the consensus among catholic low-carb dieters is that - and I quote - "if you're Catholic, the carbs in the Eucharist don't count."

SWEET! (Do you hear the angels singing rounds of hallelujahs right now too?)

While I'd like to take this online wisdom as ordained fact, I have to rationally estimate that the Body of Christ has about 1 - 5 grams of carbs per serving.  Now, these forum-floating-sages may be right and maybe receiving Communion will do absolutely nothing to my non-pregnant blood sugars due to their limited number of carbohydrates and therefore can be treated as a "freebie" but I have to wait until next Easter to figure that one out for sure...

Until then, I'm going to pretend that the cookie plates the RCIA people put out each week are also ordained by God and covered under the auspices of the non-carb-carbohydrate policy of the google-gospel for the faithful... one can dream, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment