Monday, August 20, 2012

Holy OW.

So I had a feeling that this might happen sometime soon since I'm not putting on too much weight and the baby bump is getting bigger and harder, but alas inserting my infusion site has become a ridiculously painful experience.  I went to reinsert the site at a new place on the left side of my abdomen and instead of only going into the subcutaneous fat like it usually does, the needle bounced off my abs or uterus or something and seriously hurt like all get out.

Don't get me wrong, I have a really high pain tolerance and I am used to the pinch of a two inch needle jabbing my stomach every few days, but having a needle hit muscle or something more tender than fat is SO uncomfortable.  I've had to switch my infusion sites from the parallel lines next to my belly button to my sides since Baby has oh so lovingly deposited extra cushion for Mama there... So far the swap seems to be working out, but it makes lying on my side uncomfortable and carrying a purse is a bit painful when it bounces on the site.  Oh the joys of being a diabetic!


In other news, I've been completely on the ball with checking my blood pressure twice a day, weighing in daily and checking my urine for protein to make sure preeclampsia isn't setting in.  So far things are all within normal levels and that is great.  I'm going to be talking with my perinatologist at my next appointment about whether his concerns are for "IF" preeclampsia sets in or "WHEN" it sets in.  I'm not sure what to make of this high risk pre-preeclampsia routine since preeclampsia is frankly much more intimidating to me than any of the other complications we're having with this pregnancy.

The Preexisting Diabetes and Pregnancy book I've been reading has several many stories of women who had similar combinations of complications that had their babies as early as week 30 (which, by the way, is only six weeks from now)... scary. But face it, week 30 is better than week 24 -- and week 36 is even better than week 30!!  I registered for delivery this morning with the Fairfax INOVA Women's Center and I am glad that is ready to go just in case.  I've pretty much resigned myself to the expectation that we'll likely deliver earlier than optimal and that the use of a NICU may actually be required, but that is all in God's hands and I can only hope for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment