Thursday, July 26, 2012

Fetal Echocardiogram Today in Burlington

As I mentioned in one of my last pregnancy related posts, the fetal echocardiogram is the next big hurdle for me to clear in the pregnancy.  In all pregnancies the doctors will look at the development of the baby's heart to make sure that it is healthy and not showing malformations or irregular operations. With insulin-dependent pregnancies, they do a higher resolution more careful screening of the baby's heart because problems with heart development are more likely to happen with diabetics because of the impact abnormal blood sugar ranges have on fetal formation.

So with non-diabetic people in general, typical blood glucose ranges are between 70 and 100 mg/dl.  With diabetics, this range is very difficult to achieve and requires full attention to get even close to such "tight" control, which is why our optimal range is slightly higher between 70 and 120 mg/dl to account for this difficulty. Now, consistent blood sugars above 120 mg/dl prior to conception and during the first trimester of pregnancy can cause birth defects - specifically in the cardiac system - because of the delicacy of the fetus' system development.  Obviously this means it is completely on the mother (aka me) to give the baby a healthy heart from the get-go.  No pressure.

Wanting to give baby the best shot possible at a healthy life, I worked very hard to have tight sugar control before conception and I've had my sugars on lock down since the beginning of the pregnancy for fear that I might do something to Baby.  Today is kind of the culmination of that... whatever happens in the coming months with my placenta previa, my higher risk for preclampsia and issues with fetal growth are all irrelevant to my diabetes control and out of my hands.  But today, the fetal echo, is a direct measure of my blood sugar control and its impact on the pregnancy.  Again, no pressure.

I'll report back how it goes as soon as I get a chance...  until then, please keep your fingers crossed and us in your prayers.  We'll take whatever help and positive vibes we can get!

No comments:

Post a Comment